Friday 19 April 2013

Procrastination always wins out!

It's about 8:30 on a mid-autumn Perth evening. I'm currently a little intoxicated, but I once again find myself surrounded by code.

I'm not gonna lie, the website has taken a little bit (waaaay more than that!) of a backburner recently. So many other things have taken over recently that it's been kinda hard to keep track of everything. I just know that I am tracking nowhere near where I should be on this website.

I've opened the project for the first time in more than a month, and to be honest, I can't even remember where it was that I left it last time round. That's one of the things about writing code for a living as well as for a hobby, sometimes it becomes blurred, and the few little things you pick up at work merge with those that you think you have already done on your personal projects.

I have a few choices staring me in the face right now. I know that some of the stuff that is already in the project is not going to work out for the final cut. I know that only because of some of the things I have learned over the last few months working on similar projects. Do I take them out now, or do I leave them in there and work around them. Leaving them in means that at least some of the code will compile straight away, but taking them out will be better for the long run, but adds a lot of extra code. The former is, of course, the better option. Take out the stuff I know wont work now. Make a note of it, and come back to it at some other time. The former is the better option but in this state, I can't help thinking that the second option is the better one for the moment. I crave the rush of seeing all greens on the test suite, despite the dirty code.

Maybe I shouldn't be thinking that way. Maybe I should just leave the project alone for tonight and work on something else. I have another project on the go at the moment. It's quite a simple project, that will allow me to back test a ForEx strategy that I have been working on to see if it actually works. It's a quick and dirty application, but it doesn't need to be anything other than that. The point is to see the end result, it doesn't necessarily matter about how it gets there, only that the end result is accurate.

Hmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment